Thank you to all who attended today’s North Carolina Retina Club (NCRC) meeting at Duke Eye Center. It was another excellent meeting with great presentations and discussion!
Thank you to David Gauss from DORC for sponsoring the meeting!
Summary of today’s NCRC presentation topics:
· Peter Van Houten – practice patterns in AMD, DME, VMT
· Reece Lauders – DME treatment – cost of injections vs surgery
· Nick Farber – serous retinal detachments thought to be secondary to Ipilimumab and Nivolumab treatment for metastatic cutaneous melanoma
· Phillip DeSouza – Blau syndrome case with overview and treatment approach
· Akshay Thomas – antiphospholipid syndrome case with ocular vascular events
· Omar Punjabi – a case of delayed subretinal fluid resolution after scleral buckle and a case of ocular myiasis with laser treatment
· Beatrice Brewington – viral outer retinitis secondary to Coxsackie
· Lauren Rushing – another interesting case of viral outer retinitis secondary to Coxsackie
· Avni Finn – case of choroidal melanoma mimicking a peripheral exudative hemorrhagic chorioretinopathy
· Keegan Harkins – Susac syndrome case with bilateral vascular events
· Jessica Randolph – a case of lipemia retinalis and hypertriglyceridemia
· Miguel Materin — retinoblastoma treatment options and intra-aterial chemotherapy in particular
· Sharma Rubino – retinal astrocytic hamartoma in a patient with Tuberous Sclerosis
· Steven Ryder – a case of retinal hemagioblastoma with vitreous hemorrhage and treatment approaches and a case of peripheral exudative hemorrhagic chorioretinopathy and operculate retinal hole with limited retinal detachment
· Tammy Hsu – Flex Heidelberg OCT System for pediatric patients
· Wendy Zhang – Hypotony in a pediatric patient with K-pro and challenges with pediatric KPros
· Wajiha Kheir – choroidal melanoma during pregnancy
· Mohsin Ali – sclerochoroidal calcifications with choroidal neovascular membrane
· Rajiv Shah – pediatric patient with ERM/combined retinal and RPE hamartoma; Sturge- Weber Syndrome with exudative retinal detachment after radiation
· Lejla Vajzovic – initial experience with EVA vitrectomy platform
Our next NCRC meeting is hosted by Omar Punjabi on April 7th at Del Frisco’s Steak House, 4725 Piedmont Row Dr., Charlotte, NC from 11:30am to 4:30pm.
Presentations and other information will be available on our website: Https://RetinaClub.org
Have a great weekend.
Lejla Vajzovic, MD
CME Director, Duke Eye Center
Director, 2018 fAVS Course
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Adult and Pediatric Vitreoretinal Surgery and Diseases
Duke University Eye Center
There were about 36 present at the meeting and 8 online “live” with 46 visitors watching the video archive on line in the first 3 days after the meeting. We have heard from physicians as far away as California and Germany.
Archived Video: NCRC video playlist on SkiChopChop channel on YouTube
Thanks to all for coming to the meeting both in person and virtually!
Sincerely, Peter VH.